View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Ken Marks

Default A Little More Information.

Great discussion guys. My favorite set. A little more information to add if folks are interested.

Related to the "lateral brown border" on some 62 Jell-O cards. I believe the reference is to the left side of certain cards. Any card without a left black border line (where one would be expected) did not come from a regular 1962 Jell-O gelatin card--but instead came from a Jell-O pudding flavor (of which there are five different pudding flavors resulting in the possibility of five different colors that might be present on the left side as opposed to the thin black border line). My understanding is that PSA does not recognize with the color on the left (many, many times wider than regular black border line) as a border and thus will not give Jell-O pudding cards a numerical grade since the left side does not have the black border. (As an aside, the 1963 Jell-O baseball cards only came on gelatin flavors and did not come on pudding flavors.)

I fully concur with Mike Skiles that the 62 Jell-O Clemente came from a Strawberry box. There was a Lew Lipset ad in SCD many, many years ago where he was selling 1962 Jell-O boxes (individually). That ad was selling 85 different unfolded boxes and the listing included the player on the box along with the flavor of the box. Clemente was one of the players and was shown as coming from "Strawberry". For a number of years I have been researching all the players on the set trying to tie them to the different boxes (flavor(s)/size(s) the each appeared on. Based on this research, I believe it is pretty much a certainty that it was the 3 oz. box of Strawberry Jell-O that Clemente appeared on and was included in the Lipset ad. Additionally, Clemente does seem to have appeared on a second flavor of Jell-O based on cropping differences in Clemente cards.

Guess I will end by saying that I am always trying to learn more about this set and more than willing to discuss thoughts. Good night. Ken Marks