View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Again, respectfully, I have to disagree. Strongly. And I don't own the card.

Mantle is one of the ten greatest offensive players in the annals of Major League Baseball. He was the star for the most successful professional franchise in American sports history, in the biggest metropolitan area in America, at a time when television was exploding, and that team was still winning World Championships. Every kid in America wanted to be the Mick. Fathers named their kids after him. Women threw themselves at him. The Commerce Comet was ripped, charming, if not a little soft spoken initially, and looked like a movie star.

Take all those factors, and then consider that the biggest baseball card company of them all, Topps, made its major set debut in 1952. The 1952 Topps set is to vintage what the T206 set is to pre-war. And Mantle's card was the set's lynchpin.

Oh, and it was short-printed.
I always understood the DP listed next to Mantle, Jackie and Thomson to mean Double Print.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.