Thread: Winston and JSA
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Steve, when I was in the MBA program, making a pittance as a TA, I tried to supplement that income by refereeing basketball. When the school realized I had two jobs, they told me I could no longer be a ref. That was in 1981. So what you are describing is already in place, or was. The rules are strictly enforced for any student who is NOT part of the minor league football program
I was not aware of that.

I don't think it's right, as long as the job performance didn't suffer. But if the rule is known and applied evenly that seems fair. I'm guessing it wasn't explained to you at all since you seem like a guy who'd follow the rules. (Of course, we were all different people in college than we are now )

I've been mulling over the whole autos/dealer/JSA thing, and I really haven't quite decided what I think.

I do think Winston should have known better. But how many college football players with real talent listen to those boring rules things. Especially if they have been allowed too much leeway in HS.

The dealer really should have known better. If he's got a connection, and basically messes up the kids career to make a few bucks right now he's both wrong and not at all bright. What would that connection be worth if the player became a star at the pro level? Of course that's tempered by Winston doing a fine job of screwing up all on his own.
And if it's not a connection, then the person that hasn't been mentioned yet is whoever handles Winstons business matters or advises him.

Very Mixed feelings about JSA. On the one hand as others have said they were doing what they do. Assuming they didn't seek out someone to get a bunch of autos from someone who isn't supposed to sign for pay I'm not sure about where I think their responsibility ends. Ultimately, I think at least a call to the submitter to let him know he's putting himself and the player in a bad position would be appropriate.
On the other hand, the autographed stuff is sort of like unlicensed cards. And I'm pretty sure none of the legit TPGs will grade those. I wonder if I had one signed - would they reject it because the object that's signed is unlicensed?

I don't know enough about it to know if the act of signing itself is illegal. I don't think the NCAA rules are quite the same as laws. But if it was done somewhere that has a law against getting a college player to risk elegibility that might be enough to make it illegal. ----Interesting, illegal to host a legal activity.........I'm assuming that if for instance Winston himself signed 900 photos and put them away until after his college career that would be ok. Or if he did the signing and the photos weren't to be sold until after his elegibility? Pretty narrow window between that and the draft, but it might make sense.

Steve B