View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The 93 Jeter is the closest card to a 52 Mantle in the modern era. The most popular card of the most popular and collected player of the era. And he played for the Yankees and won several titles. That seems to matter more in the collecting world than being the better player. There are guys who played in Mantle's era you can argue were better players, but their cards will never match his in terms of popularity or value.

Since I got back into collecting the 93 Jeter in PSA 10 has already gone from selling for 30k to recent sales of 75-100k. While I'm certainly not a hobby expert I have a fair amount of knowledge and haven't heard of the Ott card you mentioned. How much has its value changed over the same time period? Without looking it up I would guess less than the 2.5-3× the Jeter has increased by. And I would place my bet on the Jeter having more long term potential.
I would assume the above post was made with tongue thoroughly in cheek. That would be incredibly sad if you never heard of Mel Ott, who was in fact the second best player in Giants' history, with an OPS+ neck and neck with Aaron and Mays. With regard to the Ott rookie, I purchased if for a bit over $1400 in a PWCC auction this spring, and have already received an offer to purchase it for a total amount of $2100, going through PWCC. You need to do some research into the coin collecting field, where there are many analogous situations to the popular but readily available in high grade Jeter. It may take awhile, but there is no way this card--auctioned by PWCC for $99,000+ a short time ago, is going to be worth 10X that in any existing member of this board's lifetime. Instead, as in popular but similar pop report coins, it will have its' time in the sun and then fall precipitously. It may cycle upwards and then fall again, as is the situation with analogous coins, but to think it fall into the category of a good investment? Maybe the sun will start rising in the west and setting in the east!

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-19-2018 at 04:56 PM.