View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
I have to disagree with all the references to the Miracle Game in 1980. This was NOTHING like that. We had no chance in that game…it was like a college team playing the Stanley Cup Champions. The US had no business being in that game, let alone winning it, then following it up with another big win for the Gold against Finland. The Soviets had already won games by scores like 16-0 (I'm not kidding). Only a few of those American players went on to play in the NHL, Neal Broten being the most notable.

And by the way, that game was against the Soviet Union, which today today is Russia plus a bunch of other countries. It was the best hockey players from a huge swath of the Earth's surface, who played together as a professional team. It still boggles my mind we won that game. I was babysitting for my neighbor that day, watching by myself as the kid slept…I'll never forget it!

Today's game was more like an NHL All-Star game. Awesome to watch, and a great win…but no miracle.

Cheers,
Geno
I agree. Great game but nothing like the 1980 contest. It's also worth noting that the Russians may well have won the game had they not had a goal disallowed on a technicality.