View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
With all due respect... I find it beyond improbable that Ortiz would be more popular in Boston than Ted Williams... ever, and under ANY circumstance.
You do make good points about Brady though...

Except the "GOAT" part, which is more a slight on that corny, completely overused and abused acronym than it is regarding Brady's accomplishments or skill level.

I still believe Orr would be the most popular Beantown athlete though...
GOAT is corny, abused and completely cliche, no doubt, although I'd never outright claim any player deserves it outright - it's always "in the discussion" because I think discussion is more fun. Brady is for sure in that discussion.

And I'm not saying anybody being the most popular is "right" or anything, I just know that a lot of people today seem to be fickle enough that they focus on what is new or most recent, especially if they never got to watch Orr or Williams or some of the greats from the past. I wouldn't be surprised if more people in a large cross-section of Boston sports fans could identify Rob Gronkowski than Bobby Orr. Hence popularity or famous, but this includes a wide swath of fans from the general public. And that doesn't mean I'd rank Gronk over Orr, just the opposite on my list, but I'm talking about the overall Boston fandom population today.