View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Todd Schultz

billyb,

My initial response was to jiw98. As for your initial post, I submit it is consistent to rule TD once the ball crosses the plane. When a runner is stretching for a first down, the ball is spotted not where his knees or other part landed, but where the ball was located in relation to the ground--no different than the TD play. If he needs to get to the 30, for example, and the stretched out ball is there before his knees land a yard short on the 29, the ball is still placed at a point on a plane at the 30. Are you suggesting that someone who clearly dives over the goal line and then gets knocked back, landing before the line must have the ball marked short? That's what I'm getting out of your initial post, where you say "Get a piece of that dirt behind the goal line." Why, when that's not how it is ruled elsewhere on the field?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-28-2014 at 06:09 PM.