View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Scot

That's quite a statement....regarding your preference for the Collins (with bat) card over the Wagner card !

Do you have any theory's why American Litho printed him, but withheld him ?

TED Z
Hi Ted,

Your theories are as good (probably better) than mine about the great enigma Collins (With Bat) proof. I tend to think that American Tobacco didn't get his written authorization back by the deadline in winter/spring 1909 and, since he was an emerging star and a Columbia grad (i.e. a smart guy), decided to remove him from printing. Maybe he even explicitly objected or threatened them with a lawsuit -- can you imagine if he did that and someone produced the letter 108 years later? Now that would be big!

I have no strong evidence that delayed (or lack of) authorization was the reason Collins (With Bat) wasn't printed. But consider the portraits in the 350-only series. The Hall of Famers are basically Eddie Collins, minor leaguers (Beckley and Jimmy Collins) and Rube Marquard (who didn't emerge as a star until 1911). Makes no sense that Eddie Collins would be printed as a 350-only portrait unless there was some sort of unusual delay. My best guess is that Collins (With Bat) and Collins (Portrait, Philadelphia) were both supposed to be 150/350 releases, but ATC was forced to delay and mothballed the With Bat version entirely.

Scot

EDITED TO ADD: For those who are unaware, the American Tobacco Company sought written permission from the players who it wished to include in the set we now (thanks to Jefferson Burdick) call T206:

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_96.html

Last edited by sreader3; 03-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.