Thread: CANO to Seattle
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 PM

I follow both the M's and the Yankees (grew up in NY, now live in WA).

The labeling of Cano as "lazy" has always been unfair and a misunderstood take on a truly natural talent. It just takes watching him for a few games to see a smooth, solid style of play. Just because it looks effortless in the field, doesn't mean he is lazy. Just because he isn't a "grinder" who makes routine 4-3 ground-outs ever-so-slightly-closer, does not make him lazy. He is a fantastic player. I think most fans in NY will miss him because he was fun to watch, and talent like that is special. I'm lucky that I got to follow him as a Yankee and will get to continue following him closely as a Mariner.

I don't feel like Yankee fans assume that World Series titles are their birthright. However, Yankee fans likely feel like they will be a better team over the next ten years than the Mariners. That seems pretty plausible and likely, no? Who has more postseason wins in the next ten years, the M's or the Yankees? Maybe it is debatable, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the Yankees.

In my experience watching Eric Wedge manage the M's and the Indians before that, he appears to be a sub-par manager in virtually every way. To me, the M's were smart to go in a new direction, especially if Wedge was asking for to be brought back for more than one year.

Here is one of the many articles you can find to support my point about Wedge's generally underwhelming managerial career [some of the better points about him are slightly embedded, which requires a closer read]: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ire-eric-wedge