View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 11:37 AM

The 1960 Post Cereal are indeed cards, just not in the usual connotation of what most collectors handle. The company may have called it a "photo"; however, a year earlier the Bell Brand company, in an original advertisement I own from a Los Angeles Rams program, shouted out in its ad, "ACTION PHOTOS OF L. A. RAMS NOW INSIDE BELL BRAND PACKAGES". Collectors have never called those "photos", have they? A further example comes from my book research. I ferreted out an original Safeway Supermarket advertisement placed in the April 29, 1959 LONG BEACH (CALIFORNIA) PRESS-TELEGRAM. Among the listed items were

"Cheesefurters

Morrell Pride

Hey Kids!

A Free Picture of Los Angeles Dodger in Every Package"

The cost of the single package to present one "free prize" 1959 Morrell Dodger "picture" I will withhold, as well as the Morrell Polish Sausage listing. You're gonna have to buy my book to get the rest of the information and accompanying insight.

Many assume PSA knows everything about the cards they grade. They do not. There are some hand-cut regional / food issues that seem to befuddle them; however, it is only due to lack of knowledge. I should think they would be open to elucidation. Also, I would think PSA's 8 X 10 photo holder would do for the full-size 1960 Post Cereal card in a pinch. However, the graded picture-only piece of the card should assuredly be given only the AUTHENTIC branding.

I remember seeing on PSA's web site the very card Fred is referencing, and rolling my eyes.

SGC did a fabulous job of authenticating mine at the 2008 National Convention in Chicago. The card JUST FIT their over-sized holder. Apparently, it was the first time they had taken on the task of grading one of these majestic cards, the post-war equivalent of a T-3. For a while they didn't think they could, but they gave it a try. I still am cheering.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.