View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default The grand opening at the Denver Art Museum Marshall Fogel Collection

Posted By: DMcD

Received my copy of the Museum of City of NY "exhibit companion" from Amazon a couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to read the text but gave the pictures a once-over and was stoked big time. Lots of photos I'd never seen. Players, fans, stadiums, memorabilia, bb cards etc. There is a full page color picture of a young Don Zimmer that is worth the price of the book by itself. And how about that photo of Clem Labine finishing a warm-up pitch in a crouch. Bloody lovely! At first blush the book is right up there with some of the keeper "coffee table" baseball books like Classic Baseball Photographs by Donald Honig and Baseball as America by the gang at National Geographic, both personal favorites, as well as A Coffee Table Book about Coffee Tables by Kramer (Haha! I wen' hijack my own post which is an aside to an aside already. Apologies to everyone over at the "A major problem" thread). It might help to have been a young New Yorker in those days (which some of us were) but I believe it will appeal to many of youse guys. The content is not strictly limited to the '47-'57 Glory Days; there's a bit on the earlier heyday stars and the later Mets.

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/2ns355 Tell 'em ol' Diz sent ya.