View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Mantle Variations

Got this idea from Darren's prewar thread on New Years Resolutions.

I don't collect Mantle specifically except to the extent he appears in any Topps or Bowman set. I also collect variation or variant ( recurring print defects) cards with my sets, including Mantle.

I would be interested in a list of Topps or Bowman Mantle variations or variants, either in the base sets or in the insert or test sets. I have not gone back through my sets to make a list of what I have yet, but some I am aware of....

Topps 1952 Mantle...back stitching and several front differences from DP process

Topps 1956... Do not have any line differences between name and team boxes for his card but they mat exist since they do for many/most cards in the set

Topps 1957.... Degrees to which the little guy in background shows

Topps 1963... Bombers card...differences in bat knob between his legs

Topps 1964... Period or no period after Y in NY on back...from Lemke article in SCD

Topps 1967... Red print dot in top or bottom border on regular card, and back differences with McCauliffe on his checklist card....

Topps 1967... Two versions of both 67 Punch Outs captain pictures ( also line up differences), and two versions of 1967 Stand Up...die cut and proof

Topps 1969... White letter

Topps 1964 Tattoo...different background colors/shape

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-03-2016 at 09:52 AM.