View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
We all know the Mantle card is the crown jewel of the set. But back in 1952 the Mantle card was probably viewed as a common card.

What card(s) did collectors way back in 1952 want when they opened up their pack?
Chuck, let me set you straight. The 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle was NEVER viewed as a common card, for a very plausible reason. As is widely known, Topps did not get their "famous" last series printed, and then distributed, until very late in the 1952 season. By that time, Mickey was beginning to live up to the immense bally-hoo that began to be placed upon him in the spring of 1951. Mick did very well in the pressure cooker pennant charge month of September 1952. Hence, when Topps designed their placards to introduce their last series, and entice both distributors and children (sellers and buyers), Mickey Mantle's name is right after Jackie Robinson at the top of their advertising placard.

Thus, during the 1952 World Series, the last time when baseball would be on the minds of boys, their customers, Topps was banking that Mick's precence would draw boys to buy. It worked for a short time, 'cause Mick really blossomed in the World Series, and Jackie Robinson himself told the press that it was Mickey that killed the Dodgers.

Unfortunately, as we all know, Topps was 3-4 weeks too late with their vaunted last series of their special Giant-sized baseball cards. Lots of leftover cases, that were sadly dumped in the deep eight years later.

Every time I think of their fate, and all those few dealers of the time that were obviously NOT contacted by Sy Berger et al, all I see is RED!

Back to the original question, I am rather certain that a lot of boys in 1952 would have wanted the card of Giant slugger Bobby Thomson, for obvious reasons.......

As for Willie Mays, forget it. Say Hey did not play a single game in 1952, as he spent all of his time in the military service, with no end in sight, since we were in the middle of fighting The Korean War. Both Topps and Bowman printed cards of Willie, since he was a key rookie in 1951. The Bowman looks swell, but the Topps card of Mr. Mays looks wretched, with only the 1961 entry looking worse, IMO.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.