View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 AM
Steve

Default Topps distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post

Every place had Bowman & I found Red & Blue Back & Connie Mack Topps in
1951 & in '52 Topps were just about everywhere too, but NEVER did I find any ABOVE #250! Didn't even know they existed until years later!

By 1953 Topps were easier to find & I put the whole set together w/ no problem! (Still have them!)

Over the yrs I have heard that '52 Highs were found often in Canada, but they sure never trickled down to the Buffalo/WNY area!
Thanks for the info, Fred - I also was flummoxed by the absence of Topps cards in my town. After seeing some '52's in other kids possession, usually drastically trimmed to match the size of the Bowman issue that year, I embarked on a search of all the mom & pops and downtown department stores, trying to find them, but could not. Like you, i had no difficulty finding Topps 1951 (except for the Blue issues) and 1953 sets, but it seems that the '52's had very spotty distribution in upstate NY. It wasn't until i began collecting again in the early '80's that i put together a complete set, which, like any other set, has to be the full number of cards, but not necessarily the variations, in my view.