View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifaxwa2 View Post
Regarding customers frequent requests for Psadna or JSA, it's about ensuring resale value. I may be confidant that it is real when I buy from these guys, but if I have to sell two months or 10 years down the line, it's not gonna mean squat that I say I bought it from these dealers, it will mean a lot more if it has that PSA or JSA sticker on it. Whether we like it or not.

The whole argument, about our collections future resale value and that the things left to our family, that having certs is financially better has been repeated over and over. IMO, it is not only illogical, but is risky. Suppose the TPA you used has a scandal. All your money is wasted, just like what happened with GAI, like Michael(theshleps) posted.

For anyone here with a reasonable sized collection, the easiest way for your family to sell it after you are gone is to ship it to one of the auction houses for them to sell in the way that maximizes your family's profit. Once the AH gets the items, they will have the items certed. They will use the TPA that is the most prominent at that time and most likely to provide a good return on investment. Super quick and super easy. Write a few instructions, include phone numbers of a couple of auction houses, and give them to your family on how to liquidate the items. Simple.

Slabbing now only helps your family if you expect them to sell the stuff one by one on ebay. Personally, I would not want to have my spouse or child have to go through all the hassle of selling on ebay, including scanning, posting, putting up a description, dealing with deadbeat purchasers, charge backs, items lost in the mail, etc etc. Auction houses have none of this nonsense.

The additional benefit is you save those slabbing fees which you can use to increase your collection. This will be worth far more money to you and your family in the future. Consider this scenario...

1) You buy 2 Mike Trout signed rookies for $200 (in 2011), spend $100 for certs. 3yrs later they are now worth $500ea. Your $300 turned into $1000 in 5yrs. If instead, you spent the $100 on a third rookie instead of slabbing, you would have 3 cards. If you slab one now for $50 you are out $350. Sell it for $500 and you have $150 profit and 2 Trout signed rookies for free. In 10yrs, You can sell them for $2K each for the cost of 2 slabs. At worst, slab and sell all 3 now for $450 out and $1500 in. The ratio is roughly the same to buying 2 and slabbing then.

2) Save $2-3K per year slabbing and buy 1 Ruth sig every other year. IN 20yrs, you'll own 10 extra Ruth sigs to add to their inheritance.

The reality is that neither the plastic the slab/sticker is made of, nor the value of the opinion that comes with certing, increases in value with time. The item inside the holder does appreciate with time. There is no difference in the value of the same card slabbed yesterday vs one slabbed 10 yrs ago. This means the value of the slab does not change the value of the card over time. The card is the investment, not the slab.

For our and our family's sake, owning more items that can appreciate over time is better for them financially. So why not spend more of the money we have on getting more items that could go up in value instead of using it to buy something that won't?

When you buy something from someone like Keating, Stinson, Simon, Corcoran, et al, you do so because you understand the value their expertise brings. They are not pimply faced 20 something's who are saying it's good or bad based on just an exemplar file. Those that think the TPAs add "Value" to their autos have been convinced so by their great marketing. They add to the sale price, which is why certing just prior to sale make sense in some cases, if the increase in sale price is higher that the cert cost.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 06-18-2017 at 10:36 AM.