View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Steven Finley

To answer your question I would say that decade between 1983-1993 was the heyday in which card collecting merged with honest investing. It was during that time that mass-produced rookies were hoarded by people who started to notice what the cards their moms threw out were worth. It was also during that time that the T206 Wagner invaded the national conscience as the preeminent sports collectible.

On a personal note.

For years I bought cards that didn't fit into my collecting focus by telling my wife "it was a good price", "I can flip it for a good profit", or "It is a sound investment." Never have I ever sold a card for a reason other than funding something that did fit within my focus. For some reason I can't bring myself to part with cards easily. I'm too attached to them, with or without fitting within my collecting focus.

Precious metals are a different story. I have found that with a little searching I can find silver and palladium for under or close to spot price and I have no attachment to them so unloading is stress free. Also, splitting my disposable hobby income between cards and metals has made me more concise in my collecting habits and opens up more funds for my collecting focus when I sell.

Last edited by sbfinley; 01-19-2012 at 01:41 AM.