View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Default 1949 & 1954 Mabley & Carew Cincinnati Reds photo cards

A while ago I tried to find more information on Mabley & Carew (M & C) photo cards than what little the 2011 Standard Catalog and 2nd edition of Standard Vintage Catalog offered. (I have the 6th edition on the way.)

I acquired an interesting lot recently which features (what looks to be) stamped facsimile autographs on some, actual autographs on others and no autographs (but names typed on back) for still more. All are black and white 5" to 5-1/8" by 7" photographs.

1949 (based on the years players performed for Cincinnati): Most have names typed on reverse with a few autographed (Tony Cuccinello, Hank Sauer and Moe Savransky). The disclaimer "This picture may not be rented nor used for advertising purposes. THE CINCINNATI BASEBALL CLUB CO." is in smaller type with the message in upper and lower case type.

1954: On the reverse side, names are actual autographs (11) and facsimiles (9) while the disclaimer is larger and in all caps with The Cincinnati Baseball Club Co. in upper and lower case.

No card mentions Mabley & Carew. I have to wonder if they are M & C's or simply Cincinnati Reds photos?

Steve Mitchell