View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Default Betting on games (lomg)

Posted By: Todd

As regards 19th century conduct, while it may have been detrimental to the game, there are some huge diffferences between what happened then and the Rose situation. First, as noted, the rules only prevented betting against your team. While I would not condone betting at all as advancing the integrity of the game, times and mores were different, and the rule was what it was. Following the Black Sox scandal, it became more than abundantly clear that betting would not be tolerated, and the matter was later taken so seriously that the prohibition was posted in every clubhouse. I would like to see a study or analysis of players betting on baseball since 1930--I presume it would be short reading.

As for Kevin's remarks, I believe it is nearly if not exactly as bad to bet on your own team in individual contests, for reasons I outlined in the Rose may rot thread. Stacking your lineup on given days certainly may impact the team's chances in the following games, and actually could adversely affect individual player's careers, all to the self-interest of the person doing the stacking.