View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
"The hobby will survive, at least vintage will."

I agree with you, but the lack of young people collecting has hurt the hobby.
Just for curiosity sake " vintage" is a relative term without any true definition as to year , what would your time frame for vintage be? Anyone care to share their time span for vintage?
I've always thought of 1980 as the cutoff, but the stuff from the 1960's as being the last of the 'mom threw out my cards' generation. I heard someone define it as 25+ years old, but the thought of those shiny chrome refractor parallel serial-numbered thingymabober 1990's cards ever becoming vintage just never made sense to me.

Another thing that I think hurts the hobby aside from the demise of card stores is that drugstores and the like don't carry cards anymore. I was in Walmart today, and their baseball cards were kept with the cigarettes--behind a counter where your average kid would never go.

I really think the card companies have lost their way, with all the inserts and chase cards and whatnot. Buying a pack of baseball cards should not be 'gambling-for-kids'; the cards themselves should be the point. I'd like to see Topps come up with some creative original designs for a change. No more ripping off Allen & Ginter designs, or the old sets of the 1930's-60's. Back in the 1950's, once Sy Berger had whittled his designs down to three or four, he would go to the elementary school that was a few blocks from Topps headquarters, show his designs to the kids and go with what they liked best. We haven't seen that level of care from Topps in a long time, really since they bought out Bowman.