View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Sean McGinty

I loved FoD when it came out and re-watched it a few times over the course of the 90s, but haven't seen it in about 20 years.

I've become reluctant to re-watch classics like that for fear that I'll discover they've lost their hold on me in the interim. Some movies age well, others don't. I'm not sure where on that spectrum FoD falls and don't want to test it, I have such fond memories of it but have become a bit less swayed by the romanticism at play in films like that as I've grown older and more cynical (sigh).

I do remember getting all choked up at that "you want to have a catch dad?" moment towards the end (I also used to get choked up at the end of a League of their Own where they are all old and go to visit the Hall of Fame exhibit and you see that picture of Tom Hanks' character with the notation indicating he had died a few years earlier. Loved that movie too).

As was mentioned above, the 80s-early 90s was a particularly good era for baseball films. I also have a soft spot for Mr. Baseball, today I live in Nagoya, the city in Japan where it was filmed.