View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Scott

I got a few varied for ya, so grab a beer and some snacks and enjoy:

For me, I am VERY familiar w the man, now deceased, that Dave is referencing, who used to sell boxes of resealed wax and sequenced packs. Another friend of mine got stuck once on a rack box, the guy even took it outta the "case box" . Nary a star showing, and all sequenced.

BTW, at a series of local shows in CT, there is a dealer who sells the hot packs for like 10.00 or so a pack, this is TODAY. To me, he is a crook, tho he doesn't sell the "other packs" for full price. he only has hot ones. I picture these people going in and weighing the packs, so kids can't come and end up getting a good pack. Cousre, I had the 85 Rack Pack secrets too and used it for a short while, then realized I was just as bad as everyone else at that time..ugh.

I had three nice hockey RC's stolen from me at a show at a K of C in my hometown in the later 80s. The old "can I see that" and I had these cards in a box outside of a case, and his "buddy" lifted them. Roy, Yzerman and Brett Hull rookies.

The worst of course was in June 2005 I was helping my friend celebrate his 18th Birthday and we met and left my car in a commuter lot, NOT a really accessible one. I should have known better. Well, h ad my show inventory, not a lot of value, but most of what I had, covered in blankets. Came from the Lynrd Skynrd show. and found the car had been vandalized/damaged and they took ALL OF IT. really took me out of the hobby to the degree I was, esp to this day.

As a kid, I had a neighbor who had just got some money. a couple bucks. we were older and we went to the drug store and got some FB packs. They had the OJ 2000 yard card. We told him we'd give him all the good cards. Needless to say, we kept two OJ's we pulled.

Also, we used to have a top notch grocery in my town. this one is out there. I was a troubled kid in my mind. stold some packs once, and I NEVER STEAL. Anyways, it was 1976 and they had the Wonder Bread FB cards in bread. I recall seeing a Terry Bradshaw showing thru a wrapper and ripped the wrapper to get the card. My mom didn't want that brand of bread, so why not I thought? NOT NICE

Thankfully, Im honest now, but so many stories. GREAT thread indeed. Ive never gotten ripped off, save one trade of an Ott and a couple cards for a Cobb Caramel the black and white one, early 20s w paper loss. Lost my shirt there.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 06-21-2012 at 06:15 AM.