View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Rich Klein

There was one other thing I wanted to add about Phil's comments. For various reasons, you will never find a wholesale quantity of any Derek Jeter rookies but if you want wholesale quantities of beloved Yankee Bernie Wililams they are available

And Phil is correct, the logic in why there is not a bigger demand in true rookie cards of stars is valid. BUT look at the names he mentioned:

Danny Tartabull, Chili Davis, Tom Brunansky, Lloyd Moseby, Terry Pendleton, Cecil Fielder, Wally Joyner, Will Clark, Ray Lankford, Dickie Thon, Dan Quisenberry

Not ONE of these people (Unless Pendleton becomes a manager later in life) is going to be inducted into Cooeprstown and thus there is no long term play.

These people, many of whom were card HOT at one time, are barely above commons and their RC's are easy to find

I think you can probably list fairly easily the RC's of the 1980's of which there is interest short and long term: There may be someone I missed as I went through memory

1980: Rickey Henderson
1981 Tim Raines; Mike Scioscia/Fernando Valenzuela
1982; Cal Ripken Jr
1983: Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, Willie McGee as a regional hero in St Louis
1984 Don Mattingly and Darryl Strawberry: Exceptions to the rule but they are NY players
1985: Dwight Gooden (See NY exception); Roger Clemens and Mark McGwire (eventually their numbers will force HOF entry); Eric Davis (beloved)
1986 NO Topps Cards in regular series Jose Canseco and Fred McGriff in 1986 Donruss; 1986 Traded Barry Bonds Bo Jackson and Jose Canseco
1987: Barry Bonds (esp 1987 Fleer); Greg Maddux
1988: Roberto Alomar; Tom Glavine; Craig Biggio and John Smoltz in Uodate Sets
1989: George Kenneth Griffey Jr.; Randy Johnson.

Notice: Rafael Palmeiro, David Cone, Gary Shefflield. Dave Righetti, Kirk Gibson, Matt Williams (he is borderline); Harold Baines; etc are not even mentioned.

And yes Phil. I understand your logic about the other rookies but you are also dealing with a more limited collecting audience at shows. I'd seriously for those cards you mentioned look into COMC or even EBay as outlets

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-04-2015 at 07:34 AM.