Thread: Mantle cards
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default Mantle cards

Posted By: Brad Larson

I'm not saying that it was the only factor (or even a main factor), but I think it was a factor. We are mostly thinking as "hardcore" sports fans and collectors. But even today, I can be at a bar or at a friend's parents house and hear racist comments directed towards black players. These are by no means "hate crime" type talk, but you know the word that is being "casually" thrown around (which I by no means condone or participate in). Now being that I still hear stuff like that today, I would find it hard to believe that older folks in the 50's and early 60's would not have been doing/thinking/saying even worse things, and that same said mentality would not have adverse effects on the overall perception of these players.

Now, the fact that we now live in a much more friendly and tolerable society (relatively speaking of course), I certainly don't think that any racist mentality from the 50's continued through today and affected sports card values of particular players in a major way. But racism still exists and Mickey Mantle was the "all american kid" whose reputation couldn't be hurt for any reason despite some of the less than stellar language the man would sign autos with, lol. I think even today, we as a sports loving society, are much more likely as a whole, to look down on the indescretions of a black player, than we are of a white one.

Yes, that's a sad fact, and I'm in no way saying any of the people here think with that mentality. But let's be real, those things are prevelant and do play a factor even with sports card values.

Peace.

*edited for some grammar and to add: I would find it hard to believe that players like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays didn't suffer through racist banter or even threats.