View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Worst or Least Deserving Baseball Hall-of-Famers* - IMHO

*-those elected primarily based on their MLB record as a player.

in no particular order -after the first one anyway:

Tommy McCarthy
Rick Ferrell
Jesse Haines
Fred Lindstrom
Jim Bunning
Don Drysdale
Rube Marquard
Eppa Rixey
Jack Chesbro
Ed Walsh
Lloyd Waner
Victor Willis
Joe Gordon
Chuck Klein
Phil Rizzuto
Peewee Reese
Ray Schalk
and, to be sure...Tinker to Evers to Chance.

Also IMHO, Minnie Minoso and Luis Tiant, Jr. were better than any of these.

-
Have to take issue with Pee Wee being on this list. Most people allow for wartime adjustments, but even with losing 3 PRIME years to WWII (age 24 - 26) he had a WAR of 66. In all likelihood that would be at least 84 with those three years back. He had a 5.7 the year before the war and a 6 the year back from the war so his war WAR should be in that range, possibly better.

Most guys at 66 WAR are in the HOF, at 84 you're a shoo-in. other numbers adjusted conservatively for those three missing years:

Runs 1580
Hits 2620
2b 390
3b 100
hr 138
rbi 1150

Those are HOF raw numbers to me for a shortstop even if he wasn't considered a superior fielder (which he was) if you prefer raw numbers.

I do agree that TIant is far superior to a number of enshrined pitches, as are Jim Kaat and Tommy John, that doesn't necessarily mean I think they belong either though.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.