View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default authentic grade, new look

Posted By: Scott M

Well, I don't know anything about comics and maybe restoration is considered normal. But I personally don't understand some of the already existing categories for graded cards. IE, NM7 (MC) which presumably means that the card WOULD be near mint except for the tiny detail that someone wrote on it. In my own humble opinion that detail makes the card Good. I think a large part of the problem is that people know believe that what a card is "worth" is dependand on a number on a slab. Heck I've got lots of VG cards that are NM EXCEPT - that doesn't mean that they should grade NM7 (*crease*)! Theres too many of these qualifiers - when at the end of the day the only qualifier should be do you like the card and if you do what are you willing to pay for it.

I could see too many ways to take the authentic grade and then take advantage of it. Plus if they started to give grades to restored cards we'd be flooded with Gem Mint 10's (Restored) with descriptions like THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN UNRESTORED IF I HAD THE TIME I'D RESUBMIT, HERES YOUR CHANCE TO OWN POSSIBLY THE ONLY GEM MINT 10 IN EXISTANCE - YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!! This is exactly why people shouldn't care about a slabbed card, I've never seen the advertisment for a NM(7) that the seller tells you was overgraded - grading is an opinion - I personally an a strict grader near the top of the scale but am probably soft near the bottom end - if a card had 4 very rounded corners and a small crease or two I often look at the card as G-VG or even VG (there was a day when a card could have 2 creases and be VG).

That said (probably in too many words) I would have no problem with Authentic with a grade of a 1, which I presume would be the lowest grade of a card.

Actually, my real opinion is that we shouldn't have all these graded cards!!! If people bought cards based on the appearance of the card instead of the corners of the card there wouldn't be a need for any of this stuff. I just continue to find it amazing that people who presumably collect baseball cards because they love baseball and the players who played, base their decisions on whether to buy a card on the white corners. It makes no sense to me - but then again theres lots of stuff I don't understand. I probably didn't really answer your question.

Regards