View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
I never understood or fully agreed with this quote. Mays was a supreme ballplayer. Nothing more. But a genius? I'd never rank him with Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Jonas Salk, Francis Crick, et. al. True geniuses, all.
Dave, I feel certain Miss Bankhead simply meant her quip of "genius" as mostly tongue-in-cheek, with a take-off on Shakespearse's first name. It was not meant to be taken that seriously, nor literally. She probably was just a big fan and admirer of Willie Mays, and perhaps thought nobody could make the fielding plays he could.

She shouldda been there when Jose Canseco accidentally muffed a high fly ball, and headed it into the stands for a home run! That gopher ball was one where Mr. C. would have loved to have crawled in "the gopher's hole". That "fielding feat" might be duplicated by someone, but for their sake I hope not!

Nice list of geniuses, though I saw a very convincing documentary about a lady that worked with Francis Crick, who did most of the revealing research, and figured out how to apply it, but never got the credit she rightfully deserved. Crick stole all the credit for himself. A genius of a thief, in retrospect.

The hot stove league never lets up on the Net54baseball.com forums!

---Brian Powell