Thread: Topps206/T206
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 11:10 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
The other question is would any TPG's grade the T206 and leave it in the Topps holder? Anyone try that one? I had a couple bat cards from the Topps 206 set graded and SGC removed them.
No, they will not accept them in the Topps holder. You must remove from the Topps holder before sending for a grade. I have successfully had several graded...a couple of them came back as 4s or 5s. Those turned out to be great values.

I absolutely love the concept and wish Topps would keep doing this with more and more vintage sets. (I know they did T205s also but seems like they haven't done it consistently in a while).

Buy-backs do continue to sell for a slight premium over similar raw cards. My only concern is that it is quite easy to open and remove a T206 from the Topps holder and then reseal it with a different card inside. I did an experiment after the last time I removed one for grading. The easiest way to cut them out is just to peel the two sides apart. They come apart easily if done with a minor amount of care. Then, one could stick a different T206 inside and reseal with glue. Leave it under a heavy book for a few days to ensure it is flat and it is relatively difficult to tell that it was resealed. Certainly in an online auction it would appear perfectly authentic.

I say this only because since doing the experiment I have stopped buying the Topps buy-backs. Still, I love the concept and would buy modern packs more often just for the thrill of pulling one.