Thread: Snipe services
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Sorry for what might be a stupid question, but what exactly is "sniping"? I think I understand the concept, but if I put in a max bid and someone goes over my max, how would myself having this sniping ability help me? I would appreciate some examples in detail if someone cares to take the time to explain. Thanks!
Here's an example.

We both want a card, and you plan to bid $100 as your max. I plan to bid $50 as my max. The auction ends on Friday.

No sniping.
You bid $100 on Monday.
I bid $50 on Tuesday.
I now have three full days to ponder and consider my previous bid. I decide on Thursday to bump it up a bit, maybe to $60. Darn. You're still higher. Ok. I'll bump it to $70. What? You're still higher? Ok. Last time. $80. Dammit. Still didn't get there. Ok. I'm done. You can have it for $85 (or whatever the min increase is over my $80).

Result: You get the card for $85

With sniping
You set your $100 snipe on Monday, but it doesn't launch until Friday.
I bid $50 on Tuesday.
Wednesday. I'm the high bidder.
Thursday. Still the high bidder. This is awesome!
Friday. Totally gonna win this one.
Ten seconds...seven seconds...three seconds...your snipe launches
Wham! What happened? Where'd that new bid come from?
Result: You get the card for $55.

Other benefits: you don't have to be at your computer; you'll never forget to bid; you don't show any interest to other bidders, so they may think they're the only person interested.

Downside: you only get one kick at the can. Go hard or go home. You'll save money in the end, but you'll also say "man, I should have bid $5 more..."

I snipe *everything* I bid on. Saves me tons of time and money. It's also fun to watch the snipe launch at the last second.

Oh - I use biddingscheduler and love it.

Last edited by ajw; 02-18-2010 at 10:16 AM.