View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Default Need help identifying 1890's stadium

I've been amazed at what the board members have been able to identify in the past so thought I'd run this out there. Any thoughts on the identification of this stadium?

These three cabinet cards came in a 19th century photo album. The backs are blank. Other cabinet cards in the group were all from Massachusetts. The stadium looks relatively new and, although the capacity is modest, the quality of the stadium is quite good. The final card shows people milling about after a game. Goal posts are visible in this view which would lead me to think it's is possibly a college game. However, the players bodies look more mature than college boys. There is also a white screen that has been put up during the game seemingly to block to view of non-paying fans, which would make more sense of it being a town team intent on making a profit on this game.

Rob M

1880's baseball game cabinet card 1a.jpg

1880's baseball game cabinet card 2a.jpg

1880's baseball game cabinet card 3a.jpg

1.jpg

For what it's worth, here are some closer views.

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

One interesting thing I noticed is the two young kids that are standing beside the field of play. They appear to be African-American and are wearing matching white outfits. Ball boys perhaps?

2.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 12-13-2018 at 11:02 PM.