View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Default Martin Dihigo Warning

Although Martin Dihigo died in 1971 , his Cuban biography told me he was virtually incapacitated by a series of strokes since at least 10 years before his death , also he lived in a remote village in Cuba which I visited , His place of death and burial is a town called CRUCES where literally the mode of transportation is horse and buggy.
Oddly tourist have been visiting the town ever since his Hall of fame induction and there is never a lack of DiHigo autographs sold at a premium , usually they are signed baseballs, Books or Christmas cards , many times from his own family who often times tells the visitors that is the LAST autographs they have ......but oddly with every new visitor more is found , you can draw your own conclusions
His bones which were shown to me are carelessly interred in a brick structure that does not even have his name , his bones are basically housed in a metal bread box stacked in a stack with other breadboxes. When I visited I asked what the cost of a proper burial would be and was told $300.00 , am certain that the money bought rum instead as he is still to the best of my knowledge in his breadbox , Have attached two photos taken during the visit, One is of the tomb , his is the box on the right some else is buried there in front but who knows who , The other photo was taken outside the house along with his surviving family , its the house he lived in all his life , I took the photo but collectors may recognize Ron Gordon third from left and James Spence second from the right who some of you may know. Its my opinion that the acquisition of an authentic Martin DiHigo autograph is FAR FAR tougher than most collectors realize and the fact that it came from the "family" does not guarantee authenticity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dihigo 001.jpg (71.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg dihigofamily 001.jpg (76.3 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by JimStinson; 09-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.