View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe all these 2010 Topps bat cards of these legends are NOT actual game used bats from for instance Ty Cobb. They are dated to his era and are only "game model" bats. I was looking on ebay to read what the COA says from one of these 2010 Topps cards, but guess what? Not one auction posts a picture of the back of the card stating what the actual relic is. That is why these are selling so "cheap". There are older REAL game used cards that sell for much more, but these 2010 Topps cards are not actual Cobb game used pieces i believe.
I think this is the case. Another thing Topps is doing now (maybe they have been for awhile, I don't know) are these "commemorative patches". On the back of the card it clearly states "The embroidered patch featured on the front of this card was created exclusively for 2010 Topps Baseball Series 2".

I don't think there was an issue here of dissing modern collectors, I think it was an issue of how people felt about cutting up pieces of baseball history and manufactured scarcity........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 008.jpg (46.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg various 009.jpg (56.0 KB, 262 views)