View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 04:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Great stuff!
Perez Fan ( Mark? )- Is that silver cup from Rochester NY? I live very close and am curious about the cup's history. Thanks.
Gary:

Below is the link to the write-up from Hunt's. It does not specify Rochester, New York, but I would guess that it is indeed from that Rochester. The engraved initials above read "N Y S J A A" and I would assume the "NY" portion makes reference to New York. I would also guess that the "AA" portion stands for Athletic Association. Not sure about the "SJ" in the middle. I really don't know any history beyond what Hunt's put in their description...

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...=877&lot_qual=

Despite the lack of information, I was attracted to the piece for its detailed and ornate artistry, aesthetic beauty, and the fact that it somehow remains Near Mint after 116 years! Sorry I cannot be of any help on the event that it commemorates

Now throwing out a guess on the engraved initials... New York State Junior Athletic Assn. (NYSJAA).

Last edited by perezfan; 07-25-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Took a stab at the Initials on the Trophy...