View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Thanks Scott, I guess that was my point. In those makeup game scenarios, I understand that a rain check could be used. I also guessed that some generic makeup tickets could be used for walk-up patrons on the day of a previously unscheduled game. Those tix would have no date or game number on them, presumably. Since I don't collect tickets, I do not know what the practice was at the time.

So in this case, where I would think that the sixth game actually played was a makeup game, then the ticket numbered for game 7 could not be used there. Also, someone who owned a ticket numbered 4 or 6, which were rained out, either never went to another game or could have presented it as a rain check to any make-up game that season. That begs another question I suppose-- unless you know for sure that some memorable game from 1918 was played on the date originally scheduled (not a makeup game), then you couldn't be sure if a numbered ticket was "game used" and thus a witness to the event, right?
Todd,
The Emergency ticket (E Ticket) that I described in my last post is the generic ticket that you are asking about.
Game used = stub
Not game used = full ticket

That has changed today though because of the practice of "scanning" the modern ticket as opposed to tearing it into a stub

By the way, several memorable historic games have occurred as unscheduled games:
Here are two examples:
Denny McLain's historic 31st and final win (Last pitcher to ever win 30 in a season)- Also Mickey Mantle's second to last HR which McLain admittedly "grooved" for his boyhood idol.
HOF Wade Boggs' ML debut

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-04-2016 at 11:58 AM.