Thread: "Hand Cut" E95s
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Dan- yes and no. I agree those E95s floating around with blank backs are almost certainly off notebook covers but there are other unexplained blank backed caramel cards which don't neatly fit in the category as hand cut off notebook covers, etc. I own what at first glance appears to be a hand cut E95 Chance and a hand cut E96 Kling but both have a different team designation at the bottom although using the identical picture. There is one more of these known (Davis), Gabrinus (Jerry) sold it to Keith Olberman about 10 years ago. These 3 appear to possibly be proofs of a set which was going to be released in 1913 (the team designations of Kling Boston and Chance New York and Davis Cleveland narrow this down as Kling was traded and played for the Braves in 1912, Davis was traded to Cleveland and played for the Naps in 1912 and Chance became the NY manager after the 1912 season) but apparently the plan was abandoned.
I remember seeing this card on Pete's site. Do you have a scan you could post here? I'd love to see it again.