View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Frank Wakefield

A starting point would be that your expectations were not unreasonable...

But the matter is much more complex. Identifying the set and the particular cards could change that. What the catalogs or some folks might perceive as common could be a misleading, because some 'common' cards aren't common at all. Some of the old cards are thinly traded, only surface every year or so. And the particular player, even though a common, might be particularly dear to some folks. Additionally, you were the one wanting to trade, not him... he's not motivated to trade, he's content with what he has. You want what he has, it may well cost more, ie money or a HOFer.

I can't remember who they've been, but sometimes I've been contacted about some card I have, and how someone claims to dearly want it. They then give me some lowball catalog offer. They're outraged when I've countered with a somewhat high, above catalog range, price for the card. Golly, if I'd been wanting to sell the card then it would be long gone. There's a difference between 'wanting to sell' and a 'willingness to part' with a card. This fellow you're dealing with may merely be willing to part with the card, he might not be that excited about your particular HOFers, he might have sentimental attachment to the card... If you want the card give him what he wants, if you don't then move on and be happy that you're looking elsewhere for that card.