View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredskinz View Post
Didn't think I would have started World War III with my little Babe Ruth post... Sorry all... Newbie mistake!

My take is this ... I have a Rolex watch and I also have a fake Rolex watch... When I wear the fake one, I don't care that it's fake... It runs, it looks nice and no one knows the difference... It still functions as a time piece and a fashion piece even though its fake... But when I buy memorabilia, it's not so black and white... I personally can't enjoy a fake ball or jersey that is supposed to be authentic... Its functionality is solely based on its authenticity... Therefore, due to the current state of the hobby, I HAVE to use these certificates as some sort of guide, because I just can't bring myseld to proudly display a fake Babe Ruth autograph..

Being new here, I don't know if members have certain agendas or what have you, I'm just glad that there is a forum to bounce these sort of questions off of other interested collectors...
No worries. You didn't start anything that hasn't been going on for quite awhile. You just need to know it's not a simple as having an autograph authenticated by the big two authentication groups. They make mistakes, and although I don't believe those mistakes are malicious, they do occur. As for judging the Cert and not the autograph, all I can say is that I would not look any further at an autograph if I saw it was authenticated by the J. Dimaggio company and I don't think anyone else here would either. How that applies to some of the other companies out there is for you to decide.