Thread: David Ortiz
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
What are the thoughts on if David Ortiz can/will win the MVP award? I realize he is a DH, but he leads not just the AL but all of baseball in HR's, RBI's and Slugging Percentage, not to mention a very health Batting Average near the top.

Has anyone ever won the MVP in their final year? And what are chances he plays next year? I mean c'mon, retire with that kind of stat line, really? He is a Monster!
well, to correct a few things:

Ortiz is 5th in the AL in HR's (and 8th in MLB) with 25 (trumbo has 30)

He is 2nd in the AL and MLB in RBI's to Encarnacion (and RBI's are more reflective of the quality of the OBP of the hitters in front of you than your performance alone)

His SLG is 1st as you said (as is his very nice 175 wRC+) BUT, I have a hard time giving an MVP to someone who doesn't play defense. When guys like Trout, Donaldson and Altuve are just slightly behind your bat, but are also good baserunners and defenders I think they have the edge for MVP consideration. (Ortiz is 23rd in fWAR for example due to poor baserunning and lack of defense)

He is having a good year for sure, and might have another one or two in him. But hey if he wants to walk away on top, he should!