View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
The number of signed Gehrig exhibits from the 1920's hitting the market have been alarming to me or at least highly suspicious. We know some folks were getting cards signed back in the 1930s like the Goudeys with the red lines under them. Many of us back in the 1960s were sending cards TTM to be signed. When I did that I was sending 1960-1 fleer cards. Never thought of looking for GOUDEYS or T206s and as a teenager in NYC without a card store nearby (just buying packs in a nearby candy store), I would have had no idea how to even get a T206. I did send some older topps to players but nothing earlier. And when the old time dealers like Max Schrager sold HOF autographs I never saw any on vintage cards as I went to his house a number of times
It would be interesting to know how many say signed 1933 Goudey Gehrigs actually exist both real and forged. At auction when say a T206 of a tougher guy like say Baker comes up we are aware of the collectors that might bid as we are most times bidding against others on the board. Wonder what the real demand is. If Baker signed 25 T206 in 1960 with great provenance and pictures to prove it and they were all listed on ebay for $20,000 each buy it now- would they all sell? Just curious
Are any of the signed Baker t206 cards pre-stroke? Some of the 61 Fleer are.