View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Al Richter

Default 1982 color Variation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Hi Al,

Although I don't collect post-1975 cards and know almost nothing about them, I picked up these 2 Cal Ripken rookies about 15-20 years ago, only because I was a Ripken fan. I think the card on the right is missing one of its colors (yellow?). The backs of these cards are identical. Can you tell me anything about this color variation? Is it very desirable to collectors? Would it be valued any differently than the normal card? Many thanks in advance for your insight.
Val
Val

As I mentioned I have about a dozen 82s that lack the blue ink that I got on ebay a couple of years ago as a whim since I had put together a set of the Blackless cards ( 396). The reason I started on the Blackless cards is because they have a full listing in the SCD Big Book ( p 1003/2010 of the current book). The Blackless are listed as worth $ 5500 there. I doubt they are really worth that much but can say that it would be hard and somewhat expensive to put together a full set. The 396 cards appeared on 3 print sheets A, B & C, with B and C cards seeming to be much more scarce.

Those Blackless print defect cards did get distributed in packs and have regular backs ( the Blueless as well). Yours ( Yellowless ?) and the ones above ( Brownless ?) apparently have regular backs as well . Which sheets ( marked on back) do those two come from ?

I do not know if these other missing color cards exist in as many cards as the Blackless ( 396), but they would seem to be scarcer than the blackless cards ( 1 of 1 ?), which the Big Book speculates exist in less that 100 each ( and in my experience may not exist in that many cards if they are from the B or C sheets)

I do not know how you could value the ones not in the Catalog since you would have to create a market for them. The Blackless sold well for awhile when a few idiots like me and Bob were putting together sets, but the market for them now seems to lag, partly because sellers put fairly high BINS on them. The recent seller of the Blueless also had high BINs and did not sell many, except a few star cards to what I assume are specialty collectors. You can probably still check the completed listing for 1982 Blueless and see what sold and for how much. I would guess the Brownless and Yellowless would sell for similar prices to similar buyers, but really don't know. Look at the listing for the completed Blueless and you will see a "master" at trying to "create" a market"