View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default E90-1.....and the "Dirty Thirty" theory

Posted By: Scott Gross

Ted (et al),

I just don't know ...... Been on this e90-1 ride for almost two years, and am 115/120th of the way home. Every theory I hear for the variances in quantities makes total sense, but so does the argument against each theory.

Obviously cards were added in later prints. Were they added or just replaced others, I don't know (but lean toward replacements). Although there is no check list, I have to think a “chase” incentive was there (by design, I don't know). The “team” aspect is so blatant, it can't be overlooked. If you add Fromme to the tough list (and maybe not top 30, but close), then ALL (6) Cincinnati are tough. The Boston situation is real also. Conversely, of the 12 Phila. A's players, only Jackson is “tough” (but an oddity). Also, other than HOFers, Brooklyn, Detroit, NY AL, StL NL, and Washington, have no super rarities. Notable, but hard to explain.

I do have to theorize that “100 Subjects” was probably never a set number. Ol' American Caramel knew this promotion was going to last a few years, and the 100 mark would be reached at some point. I almost take a “it just happened that way” approach, in that Am. Caramel kind of went along it's merry way, adding, replacing, correcting, dropping players over a period of time.

We may just be trying to make sense of something that really had no design .... but man, is it FUN !!!

IMHO, for the 30 toughest list, add:
Dougerty (another one of those familiar fronts, but tough e90)
Overall
Wagner/throw (not as HOF, but relative to batting pose)

(I might also lower Willis, Buster Brown, and Hall on the tough list)

Shameless ego-plug, check out July pick-ups .............