View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
Where do the Kotton / Mino / Virginia Extras stack up against each other in terms of relative rarity.

What's the deal with the thick vs. thin varieties? Anyone know how and why this happened -- and which is more collected (I assume thicker would be).
Scott,

There are probably a handful of threads that can be found with the search function that talk about T216s and all of the different varieties. However, the short of it is:

T216 Kotton - 3 types. Types 1 and 2 are thicker stock with 2 different backs. These are the most commonly found T216s, although commonly is relative as even these are extremely difficult compared to most other T issues. These are also the least condition sensitive due to the thicker stock - usually found in VG condition. Type 3 is, in my opinion, a whole different issue with a different back and extremely thin paper stock. They are much tougher than the first two types and are almost always found in deplorable condition.

Photobucket

T216 Mino - Similar in paper stock to Kotton types 1 and 2. However, these seem to be found in lesser condition, on average (G to VG). Compared to Kottons, Minos are much much tougher.

Photobucket

T216 Virginia Extra - Similar in paper stock to Kotton type 3's. These are also found in deplorable condition, often missing big chunks. VE's are even tougher than Minos.

I guess that wasn't so short, but hopefully it explains a little.

Any T216 experts out there, please feel free to correct.