View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Default The most amazing day in your hobby history

Posted By: Rob Ray

Went to visit my moms uncle down south when I was very young one summer(Nap Rucker,early century pitcher). I really wasn't a baseball fan then (around 1969-1970);more into basketball since I was a tall kid.
Anyway,he gave me his old dodger's cap,told me a few old time stories and I was hooked at that moment on baseball history.
Got back to NY after visit down south,went to 7-11 to buy some smokes for my dad (would you believe they let 9 year olds buy ciggies back then?),and had some money left over for Bb cards. Scooped up a few packs. For some reason,I remember pulling Cito gaston and nate Colbert (2 Pads in one pack in NY? I definitely remember pulling Gaston,anyway). never looked back. Bought the 50s and 60s sets from Bb digest ads,and other sources, bought all the history boks I could find...and gobbled up early baseball history like a hungry hungry hippo.
I stopped collecting mid 70s....girls,school,playing sports,etc.
About 10 years later,my dad told me a former student of his had a card shop in our hometown (Lindenhurst NY). I went to visit Ronnie's store (great guy...RST cards...maybe still in business),and got hooked again ,bought tons of vintage from this guy,started going to EC nationals,Hofstra shows etc. Collecting baseball history was always in my blood.
Now if I only had Nap's Dodgers hat back!
Rob NYC