View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default 1934 Goudey--PSA vs. SGC Pop Totals--Some Interesting Comparisons

Posted By: Anonymous

Hi Jim:

Thanks for this interesting analysis. It’s one I have performed myself on other sets over the years.

I am sorry I was not able to respond to this post sooner and many good points have already been made. I have collected high-grade Goudey cards for close to 20 years and I can tell you unequivocally:

1.The PSA set registry has changed everything and its here to stay. I once had all of my pre-war cards in SGC holders but sent them to PSA so I could have a realistic chance of completing a graded set with all the cards in one type of holder.
2.More high grade cards seem to find their way to PSA for grading.
3.People want maximum dollar when they sell and they have the best chance of getting that with PSA. There are some instances of individual HOF cards that sell at reasonable levels between SGC and PSA but it’s rare. With high grade (rare, low pop) commons it’s not even close. I think if cards crossed over at a higher rate this might not be the case but I have NEVER had any luck crossing SGC (or GAI) cards to PSA and receiving the same grade (near mint or higher). I am not suggesting PSA’s grading standards are harsher I just think it’s become almost an ego thing with all of these guys!
4.Re-submissions are a big factor on PSA population numbers. The price difference between PSA 7’s and 8’s in the Goudey sets is staggering. If someone thinks they have a chance at an 8 they might submit the card several times. For example, I purchased Dave Forman’s 1933 PSA 7 #106 Lajoie from Mastro sometime in 2004. Dave had tried to sell me the card directly but we didn’t reach a deal (a shame, since we both would have saved money). I know Dave cracked this card and re-submitted it at least four times trying to get a PSA 8. Each time it came back as a 7. Thus, the pop report on the Lajoie PSA 7 is overstated by at least four.

In response to your comment about what’s low pop now staying low pop, I couldn’t agree with you more. I know some people think that dozens of high grade sets exist in raw condition but I can’t imagine they do. I have had an opportunity to view many fellow collectors “amazingly high grade” raw Goudey sets over the years and let’s just say that I don’t believe they would grade very well with PSA or SGC. The only exception to this might be Gerry Glasser’s cards which I have heard he is currently grading.

Mike