View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Zach,

I can totally relate to your story...As a 13 yr old in 1990 I was excited to go to the local card shop with my $50 or so, thinking that i had a ton of money. Will never forget how 'little' I felt when the rube behind the counter was bothered that I asked to see a '70 Nolan Ryan, nor have I forgotten the tone in his voice when I asked how much it was and he snickered, "more than you probably have." What an ass. As I got older I was happy that his store closed....
I saw one of those guys get taken by a kid who was about 8 at the flea market. He asked about a card and got the same response, "probably more than you have" The kid replied that he'd bet that he had more than the dealer, the card to him if he had more, the contents of his pocket to the dealer if he had less. ----The Kid had about $1500 on him! And a dad who was about 10 feet away, probably a setup, but nobody liked that dealer.

The same dealer would always try to push the latest "hot" set at me, iron ons, minis, big cards....My usual response was that I already had them. So one time I mention that I'm thinking of selling some stuff the next week. He has me come around the back of the van, and hands me two boxes of cards and says "don't come to sell next week, those are on the house" Whenever I was wanting cards and had no money I'd tell him I was going to setup and always got something free.

Steve B