View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
It was 1990 and i was 17. I went to the local baseball card shop and saw a nice pile of 1989 upperdeck ken griffey jr rookies. They were $15 each and i had $50 so i bought 3. The store owner took the whole pile out, which was about 40 of then each in a ridged card holder and sleeve. I picked out the best centered ones. After i got outside with them, i noticed all 3 cards had the same crease in them. I went back in the store and wanted a refund and was told i must have creased them myself or switched the cards with ones i already had. I asked to see the pile of cards in the case again and was told no. A few years later, i was able to sell the three cards with the creases for $25 each since mint cards were going for over a hundred. I never went back to that store and they eventually closed down a few years later.

card shop i used to go to would describe his cards as mint, but they would have a hidden or hard to see crease in the card, he would sell it to us, then later we would find the defect, and we knew that he knew it was there.

i learned to never trust someone when they describe the card under a holder, i either have to take it out and inspect it personally or i cant buy it.

one of the guys did pressure him to take a card back and he berated the guy and told him that a sale is a sale but he would take it back this one time but that the buyer should learn his lesson because the dealer didnt know if the buyer put that crease in there himself (even though he knew darn well it was there beforehand, he knew exactly what he was selling).

So i bought a leaf frank thomas RC back then for 50 bucks or whatever it was, and the crease made it worth a lot less. And I thought less of the guy from then on knowing that he knew that crease was in there but sold it to me for nm price anyway.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.