View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Marvin J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Joe- since you are a printer you would know better than most what could be done with a printing press and the right paper and ink. I guess we may start to see it down the road.

If Mr. Chan could fabricate an Old Mill overprint, I assume it would not be too hard to add a couple of letters to a Joe Doyle T206.

Being a spanking new collector to the T field, before I started to collect this stuff, I was thinking exactly what Barry had written above in his two previous threads. The volume of fake material being passed off as real is...well...unnerving for me. I believe the ability to "create" authentic-looking T206's is rapidly approaching, if not here already; this is the greatest reason why I view the forums a few times a day - the combined knowledge of the people on this board, accompanied with the pictures and thoughts, helps me truly understand and get the "feel" for the T-series and helps me make decisions on my purchases. (In fact, there's a Cy Young on Ebay being sold as authentic, but I damn well know it's not - all due to this board).

This is also why I have yet to grade any of my cards; I've kept them raw and I'll probably keep it that way; unless PSA or SGC comes up with an entirely DIFFERENT department based on vintage material, and they are transparent in their grading process, including identifying who's doing the grading, I plan on keeping my cards raw for as long as possible.

As for Mr. Chan....first of all, you have guts to come on to this board, with people that have more knowledge than the Library of Congress about T series to apologize - I'll give you props for that - knowing full well you're about to get about 100 pages of flames. Whatever; no sympathy from me. I love the T-series too, but not crazy over it and it certainly isn't my only form of income (I've never sold a single T-series and I won't; I'm a pure buyer). I'll make it short - I don't like people like you. Makes people like me, and others on this board, to be even more vigilant than ever.

So, I'll say it the way someone from 'da hood would say it...."STFU, save whatever credibility you MIGHT have, and don't come back."

PS - sorry, it just burns me up thinking all the money I spent, staring at my cards, thinking I got scammed. Mr. Chan, you're the reason why some people WON'T collect vintage stuff. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr..........