View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Rich Klein

I have seen a few players with the RC designation in 2 straight years. I think I know what that occurs

The rule when implemented says card companies (now just Topps) could use the RC designation for current year issues when the player debuts before September 1 (when the rosters are expanded). You are. of course, allowed to use the RC designation in the following year. Judge made his debut late in 2016 but before the 9.1 cut-off and as such the card referenced is fine to have the RC Logo. From the Ebay description: "To my knowledge the only existing judge 2016 card with the RC logo. This card was only released to Yankees season ticket license holders and not many have surfaced." If this was not pack issued, I'm fine with the 2017 cards having the RC logo.

Sometimes, not enough people are paying attention -- so I get why that occurs as well. The market will sort out the wrong RC's just as they did in 1987 with Mark McGwire and the 1985 Olympic card (Now accepted as his true RC)

And yes, that is the reason for the cut-out Alex Gordon cards. Dead on to remember that.

If Ohtani does not make the majors, then this is truly on MLB Properties and MLBPA for approving something by assuming facts not in evidence.

I think what occurred in 2007 with Daisuke was safer, have the cards prepped and the minute the season begins and he's on the opening day roster, go for the release of the RC's

Rich