View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Well there's not one person on this board that would think these are real.

But, to say that someone that does not know that should not be buying is not really fair. I have been collecting for about 27 of my 37 years and I still run into oddball stuff that I know nothing about. I may be at fault for that because I love oddball and test issues and worse am a type collector so I am constantly searching out those things that I don't know about. However, during those years there has been many holidays that my wife or a relative thought they were doing me a big favor and bought cards because they knew I liked them. (I think there's a few boxes of early 90's wax in the back of the closet from great gifts like that. ) Money is relative also, I am on a very limited budget, but have several friends that have to ability to drop thousands thoughtlessly. I have a buddy who spends my house payment on wine monthly. They might think that a Babe Ruth card is great investment, hell, their stock portfolios sure aren't. I don't think everyone at the coin shop buying gold can tell me squat about numismatics. I know the average joe bidding on cards on the Bay, especially vintage, has a very small portion of the knowledge of this board. I still think some people know what they are getting here, and putting the phrase "limited quantities" on it make them think they can get their money back, there's a lot that don't. My real point, however is not mostly what this seller is doing now, but what these cards do in the future. I think honestly by commandeering the name "Helmar" a real issue that was vintage and survives a cursory quick Google search and pretending you have a Brewery or putting "Helmar Cigars" or whatever, they are trying even harder to be sneaky.