View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hank- one difference regarding comic books is they were made with poor quality acidic paper. Those really shouldn't be handled as over time they will begin to deteriorate. World Series programs, however, were usually made with good quality paper. No reason why one can't handle them carefully and not compromise their condition.
Good point, Barry. I'm certainly not opposed to protecting and careful handling of my collectibles, and you can do that without entombing them for eternity. My main point is that comics were made to be read, and to eliminate that possibility for the sake of slabbing seems contrary to my idea of enjoying collectibles. Is it enough just to OWN old things, now, without any meaningful interaction with them? Buy them, put them in storage, and call yourself a collector? Get the highest graded, and without knowing the first thing about your stuff, you're the best collector? What a concept! I just don't see where it ends. Take bobbin' head dolls, a very active area of our hobby. There you have all the ingredients for slabbing to take over: issues of damage and restoration, a serious need for protection, etc. Everybody OK with getting all your bobbin heads slabbed in a sealed cylinder? And to those whose only interest in the hobby is money and investment, I say: please go find something else to corrupt.