Thread: funny GAI story
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default funny GAI story

Posted By: Jonathan Perry

This is post is more related to the card industry in general rather than Vintage cards but I believe everyone on the board will enjoy this little story.
there is a Rose rookie on E-bay right now see link and auction description below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2715569514&category=23836
1963 PETE ROSE TOPPS #537 GEM-10 1/1.
IF YOU SEND THIS CARD IN FOR A REGRADE AND DO NOT MAKE A PROFIT WE WILL GIVE A REFUND. MAKE SURE CARD IS IN ITS ORIGINAL CASE.
Payment: Money Orders Only. PAYMENT IS TO BE RECEIVED WITHIN 5 DAYS AFTER AUCTIONS CLOSE
INSURANCE IS MANDATORY AS WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR DAMAGED PACKAGES.
THIS IS A BEAUTY.
MONEY ORDERS ONLY.

The auction sounds very suspicious but I figured maybe this guy was a novice and didn't understand the correct way to phrase an auction so I sent him an e-mail with a few questions.
Mainly is the card a PSA Gem Mint 10?

His response is that the card is a Gem Sports 10. Telling me that Gem Sports is the 4th best grading company.

I then asked how come he did not send the card to one of the top 3 grading companies PSA GAI SGC.
He responded by saying that he does not trust them because those companies have been know to switch the cards on you. Plus he had never heard of GAI.
I sent him a link to the GAI web page and below is his response directly cut and pasted from e-mail.

" You are gai. Nobody would go to that length about a no name grading company. I was at the show in S>F> and there was 1 gai card and the asking price was unbelievable. People were laughing as they were told the price. I even told the guy selling the card you will have that card forever. He was asking 3,000 and the card was worth 300 what a joke. People like you guys make this market a laughing joke."

Anyway I got my laugh for the day, yet at the sametime realized that there are way to many people selling cards on e-bay that are far to ignorant to be doing so
enjoy
Jon